Thursday 30 July 2015

Kameel Stoepstorie: Aunt Polly's Apple pie

My first teaching post was in Port Elizabeth.  
As all teachers the first teaching experience is the once that shape and form you. 

During this time I was privileged to visit my Tant Polly and "Oom" Solly in Uitenhage and they used to invite me every Sunday for lunch.  


Polly Ferreira was a legend in our family. 
She was my grandmothers sister and was known for her apple pie. 
During this wonderful time I received the most wonderful Apple tart recipe.
Her Apple pie was the first thing that I baked it was also the first thing our son's baked.
The boys would bake it in little baking tins and impressed the girlfriends with their golden brown Apple pies. 

  This recipe has been part of our family and De Oude Huize Menu ever since.   
Being blessed to live in an apple producing part of our country I have baked this pie on many occasions when guest would walk through our front door.  

During the time that I stayed in Port Elizabeth I also had a very funny Milk tart experience 
You can read that story here 


Forty years later and it is time to share it with you.  

Enjoy the mixing, baking and eating!

The famous Golden Brown Apple Pie of Aunt Polly’s (1975)

Beat 1 cup of sugar with 3 tablespoons butter until creamy.  
Add in 3 eggs, one at a time and beat after every addition  
Beat well.  
Add 1 cup flour, sifted, with 1 teaspoon baking powder and a pinch of salt.  Mix thoroughly.  
Add ¼ cup milk and beat well.  
Pour mixture in large deep dish, greased.  
Arrange pie apples on top.  
Bake ¾ hour at 180C. 

Sauce
¾ cup sugar, ¾ cup water, and 3 teaspoons butter.  Boil slowly for 5 min.  Pour over pie when it comes from oven.   

Love from South Africa 
Sandra 


No comments:

Post a Comment