Sunday 30 March 2014

Cosmos flowers and the Anglo Boer War


In autumn - April and May, our area lights up with a multi-coloured cosmos magic. 
A little fragile flower in marshmallow shades of pinks and white. They fill ditches, stand guard and wave in the wind.

In the years from 1899 to 1902, the cosmos seed came over in the horse feed shipped across from Argentina for the British forces. So wherever you see banked rows of cosmos, you will know that there’s a good chance that a British cavalryman may have passed there.
Photo 
MarkVeePhotography 


In the years from 1899 to 1902, the cosmos seed came over in the horse feed shipped across from Argentina for the British forces. So wherever you see banked rows of cosmos, you will know that there’s a good chance that a British cavalryman may have passed there.


Now it's been discovered that our cosmos comes in 20 different species, and that their lands of origin include Paraguay, Central America and parts of the southern US.
Photo MarkVeePhotography

Thanks for visiting and please make sure to visit our friends
Lots of love
Sandra

25 comments:

  1. Oh, how beautiful and how interesting about how they Cosmos came there. Thank you for the history lesson. Now, If I ever have the chance to visit your country, I will know to look for the banked rows to see where the British passed!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting Diane hope to meet you one day. Have a wonderful week.

      Delete
  2. Loved your story and pictures because I've just planted some Cosmos seeds! They do well in the southern heat of summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting Connie may you have a wonderful week.

      Delete
    2. I have planted cosmos before. Nice to know a special story about them too.

      Delete
  3. Your pictures are dreamy. I am still looking at snow on the brink of April! Thanks also for the history lesson, I love learning about the past! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting Kim. We hope that you summer will arive with a wonderful burst of colour.

      Delete
  4. The cosmos are just beautiful! I love wispy flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting and for hosting such a wonderful "tea party"

      Delete
  6. I love your posting about the cosmos -(not tea) and how they came to be. Looks like you are in quite a project there and I wish you great success. The painting you were given is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the cosmos flowers. Hadn't known the name:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting Michele may you have a wonderful year.

      Delete
  8. Beautiful! What a fascinating way to plant flowers : ) Amazing you know where they all originated from.
    Is this your tea cup post? I will have a look around and see if I missed it. Thank you for joining in Tea Cup Tuesday.
    Hugs,
    Terri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Terri thanks for visiting. Yes my cup of tea is served in nature. Have a wonderful day.
      Sandra

      Delete
  9. Ooooo so pretty! If I close my eyes I can just imagine.......
    Thank you for the spring cheer!
    ~Donna~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Donna these flowers grow wild and are very special. Thanks for visitng.

      Delete
  10. I love cosmos and I enjoyed reading about their history. {No tea though?} Thanks for sharing and have a lovely day.

    Blessings,
    Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sharing a cup of tea with you has been a pleasure
    Love

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love Cosmos.Neat to learn the history.

    So wonderful to have you at Seasonal Sundays. Looking forward to having you join this weekend as well!

    - Alma, The Tablescaper

    ReplyDelete